Thursday 13 March 2014

Tropes of my genre

A music video trope used in my own video is the use of animation. Although this feature isn't largely used in acoustic/pop music videos it is featured in a few such as Valentine by Kina Grannis and Take On Me by Aha. In both of these videos I feel that animation adds a lot to the story line but more so in Valentine as it shows how the girl at the end might be more suitable as she is visually compared to be a lot nicer.
My video also uses the the trope of having a Concept. Video Killed the Radio Star: Literal version I find is very funny and is, in a way, like my own. I listened to the lyrics of my chosen song and found literal meanings in a lot of them. For example, 'Taking blood and making art' where I had the Heart paint a picture using paint to symbolise blood. Although I feel I used this trope of having a concept, in some ways I think I took it a bit far by looking for literal meanings of the lyrics meant I was restricted to staying close to them otherwise it could've looked out of place. 
I don't believe I have subverted any tropes on my genre. As I have followed a lot of the conventions of my genre, I think that I have then followed the tropes in the same way. I don't believe this has hindered my work in any way but it may have helped it if I had looked at new tropes that I could've subtly placed in my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment