Friday 13 September 2013

Music Videos for inspiration

Narrative videos

A-ha Take On Me

In this music video, I like the drawn people and the way it switches between the effect and real camerawork. The main purpose of the drawings are to create a story line which I feel is effectively done. A wide shot of the long corridor meeting an end for the two main characters adds suspense and drama as we have the perspective of 'the chaser' and feel as though we are closing in on them. Also, the close ups of him hitting the walls and flickering between drawn and flesh create a sense of desperation as they are edited with quick cuts, showing her face of worry. I like this effect as it really adds more to the music video and makes an interesting story line.
For the beginning of my video there is a small drum beat and then at the end there is the sound of a heart beat. I was going to leave these two parts without film but, from the drawn effect in this video, I am now thinking of drawing two hearts, a small and a larger one, to create the effect of the heart beating.


All American Rejects- Give you hell
Around the beginning of this video I panning shot is used to show the difference between the two men featured in the video. As the lights turn off in one house, the lights are turned on in another. The type of shot along with the use of mise en scene (it being night and the decoration of the houses) indicate that the men are completely different in style of clothing and behaviour. I like this shot as it sets the scene for the rest of the video, suggesting there will be conflict between the two houses. Also, the ways in which the two men are dressed show their different personalities, for example one has very neat and combed back hair suggesting he is from an upper class stereotype.
I like the way in which the characters at the start don't get along but things are resolved between the two towards the end (even if it does mean swapping partners!) I would like to use this idea of two characters starting at unease together and then resolving matter towards the end.I also liked the comedy in this video and the small amount of live performance. I feel that adding some live performance would enhance my piece as it a convention that I can follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment